Wednesday, September 23, 2009

New Channels: "Composers: Beatles" and "Pop Composers"







We're a little late to the party, but AccuJazz is now officially part of the resurgent Beatlemania sweeping the world right now. We've just launched a new channel called "Composers: Beatles," playing over 150 jazz covers of Beatles songs. Accompanying the Beatles channel is "Pop Composers," which includes the Beatles material plus jazz versions of other "non-jazz" composers, like Stevie Wonder, Joni Mitchell, Burt Bacharach and more.

"Composers: Beatles" includes everything from Buddy Rich's screaming big band doing "Norwegian Wood" to Gene Harris laying down the funk on "Get Back" and Baptiste Trotignon getting all sensitive on "Julia." It really makes for a fun and interesting listen, and it has quickly become one of the most-listened-to channels on AccuJazz.

It was also a lot of fun to create. It was the first new channel where I had the go-ahead to take AccuRadio CEO Kurt Hanson's credit card to the Amazon mp3 store and go crazy. Thanks to my faithful Twitter followers who made a lot of great suggestions about worthwile Beatle covers. I never knew quite how many Beatles covers there were out there, and I'm sure there are thousands more. The channel was also fun for me because I've totally fallen victim to the wider Beatle craze. I think I've listened to Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Sgt. Pepper's a combined 20 times in the past couple of weeks.

Go on now and listen. Then, if you're so inclined, let your friends know about it, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment